Television Dying (Yes and No)
Ever since cable television was introduced to Canada in 1952, it has remained popular for decades. It was superior to home radios and replaced them in many households. Due to the introduction of the Internet in 1989, cable television began to have some serious competition. One of the major flaws in cable television was the amount of advertising in commercials that would range from five to twenty minutes in between parts of shows. They replay the same commercials over and over again wasting time for people who want to finish a show before going to work. The internet on the other hand has a very similar problem. When you want to watch some videos on YouTube, there will always be some random commercial that you can't skip. These issues do drive me insane but throughout my life, I've lived watching cable television.Whenever I wake up in the morning, I watch CP24 to know what's going on in the city.
From the age of three to six , I tended to watch my favourite television shows at the time which were the Teletubbies, Barney and Friends, and Mister Roger's Neighbourhood. As I got older, I began to watch some other notable shows like Inspector Gadget, Bill Nye the Science Guy, the Magic School Bus, and Arthur. Nowadays, I wake up every morning and watch CP24 to know what's going on each day as well as watching shows like Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, and The Big Bang Theory. I feel like even though we have the technology to watch shows without commercials like Shomi, Netflix, and YouTube; they will never be the same as live television shows. I enjoy watching the news live as I watch reporters interview folks live as well as giving coverage of major current events in the world. I enjoy watching major events like the federal elections, sports games, live concerts, gameshows, and contests live on my television. I used to enjoy watching movies on television but now I can watch any movie for free using putlocker.com. Now I tend to be more of a gamer playing popular games on my consoles in my free time. In my family, we barely use Rogers on Demand and we tend to still use cable television to watch our programs.
Childhood memories..... It's a wonderful day in the neighbourhood.......
Overall, even as technology advances, there will always be a few flaws with some of these commercial-free channel providers like freezing or skipping scenes. The same flaws will occasionally happen to cable television as well. I believe that for many people born in the following years, the life of cable television will die out for them as they will experience the internet in the forms of computers and tablets. For those who have grown with television however, cable television will still be watched. As for myself, I will always watch cable television no matter how good commercial-free technology gets. There won't be an end on the way for cable television in the next decade since even though it may seem outdated to most of the newcomers to the 21st century, it will always be enjoyed by anyone no matter what age or time they were from.
A cheaper alternative to going to a movie theatre
No comments:
Post a Comment